Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning that I may get a small commission should you make a purchase using one of the links.
Why would you like to lose weight? Is it because you want to look good for a special day? Perhaps you have a family event or class reunion to attend this year; the reasons could be many.
However, rather than losing weight for a single day event or to please someone else, you may have more success losing weight if you do it for you, because you’re worth it!
Having a particular event to look forward to is a good starting point when you decide to lose weight, but it won’t be enough to help you keep the weight off after that day has ended.
Sure, you may look great for your 15th high school reunion or your cousin’s wedding, but will you be able to maintain that weight loss once your old high school rivals is no longer around to admire how good you look? It’s not a guarantee but the likelihood is that you’ll go back to your old ways and gain your weight back.
Before starting on your weight loss venture, think of a way to motivate yourself to keep the weight loss going. You can’t find a better motivation for losing weight than to get healthy and feel energized. This is especially true if you have health concerns that are complicated because of your weight. Determine to make your “why” — you.
3 Simple Eating Habits to Take Control of Your Health & Reach Your Goals.
You may have big plans to improve the food you eat, but struggle with overcomplicating it. Making healthy food choices is hard work, but you can make it a little easier with 3 simple eating changes.
Register for 3 Simple Eating Changes to Help You Take Control & Reach Your Health Goals, a free webinar presented by Anna Renderer, host of POPSUGAR Fitness.
You’ve got this, friend! Go register for this webinar and start developing new healthy eating habits today! Click to Register. Because you’re are worth it.
Losing weight for you – because you’re worth it – gives you a permanent reason to shed the extra pounds and keep them off!
Here are some action steps you can take to help you meet your weight loss goals:
1. Create your weight loss plan. Now that you have your permanent reason for wanting to lose weight, you can create a successful plan to get you to your goal. Include in your plan:
- Specific, measurable goals that are also reasonable and attainable for you
- A time frame
- Steps you can take each day to achieve your goals
2. Get a mentor or coach. Your chances of succeeding will be greater if you have the help of a friend or weight loss mentor that will keep you on track when your will power begins to wane. If you are dealing with lifestyle health issue and you have a sensible doctor, this may be a good time to get him or her involved in your weight loss plan. Otherwise you could secure the help of a naturopathic health coach and can be a guide and who can help you reach your weight loss goals.
3. Choose foods that are as close to nature as possible. These will have the best nutrients and the least artificial ingredients.
Thrive Market and your local farmers market are great options for healthy foods that should be free of unwanted chemicals.
- Talk with a dietician or find an online weight loss community to give you advice, encouragement, and constructive criticism for making healthy food choices.
4. Find a sport or activity you can enjoy that will get you moving. You don’t have to spend hours and hours in a gym, unless that’s what you choose to do.
- An increase in the amount or intensity of exercise by as little as twenty minutes a day can do wonders to help you reach your weight loss goals!
5. Set small, attainable goals. While your ultimate goal may be to lose 50 pounds, you won’t be able to reach that goal in a short period of time. Set smaller goals such as five or ten pounds in two months. It is a good idea to also keep track of your progress in a food journal and/or planner to plan meals and exercise routine. Or you can choose from a wide array of free apps or wearables such as FitBit or Apple Watch.
- Experts recommend losing no more than two pounds a week, so it would be feasible to lose at least five pounds in a month.
This time, choose to lose weight for yourself rather than for anyone else or any other reason. That’s the best reason in the world! Follow these tips, stick with it, and enjoy your new, healthy body!
Have you decided to lose weight and/or get healthy this year? If so, why not share you plans in the comment below. Or if you have a weight loss success, please tell us how you did it. You could help someone else.
- Have smaller rewards for smaller amounts of weight and then larger rewards when you’ve reached a major milestone such as 25 pounds.
7. Don’t beat yourself up if you have a bad day or even blow your diet completely. You’re only human! Instead of degrading yourself over it, tell yourself that you’re worth the effort to lose weight and that you can do it. Start afresh the next day. Maintaining a healthy mindset is very important to your weight loss success.
8. Be patient. Remember that you didn’t gain the weight overnight. You can’t be expected to lose it quickly, either. Your best course of action is consistency, coupled with a healthy mindset. Keep on track and the weight will come off and stay off!
Losing weight can accomplish so much more than making friends envious or because you could fit in clothing that you wore in high school. Your health can be greatly improved by ridding yourself of extra pounds and exercising to get your body in shape. It’s also a great confidence booster. And yes, to celebrate when you have reached your weight loss goals, a new outfit within your budget would not hurt either!